Thursday 10 November 2016

Fruity and spicy


The other day I made chutney from a slab of mango leather I bought in town. While it comes in a slab there are about five thin layers comprising the slab. The mango cost about 180 rupees which is $3.75 so it is a cheap way of accessing mango.
 
 

 
The trick is to cut the mango up small and melt it  down with water and vinegar. It takes some time and needs constant stirring but it is worth it. I add garlic, ginger, cinnamon bark, black cumin seeds, cloves, chillis and coriander. The great thing is it has no added sugar. I am not sure if the leather has sugar in it or is pure dried dehydrated mango paste.

The end product would bring tears of admiration to Aunt Daisy’s eyes- for several reasons, one of which is the mixture is quite spicy. In another fortnight if there is any left it will be even spicier. It is  probably more of an English version of a chutney than an Indian one. Their chutneys from my observation tend to be savoury.

 

The chutney adds a bit of variety and flavour to the meals which will be great especially when I go to the teaching phase of my stay here where the food is simple and budget constrained.

Oh if there is any left.

No comments:

Post a Comment