Thursday 17 November 2016

Honey I shrank the salwar pt 2

The salwar chemise in my extensive collection, seen here hanging  in a wardrobe I constructed myself from a $2 shop piece of rope, all have a similar colour theme. Most apart from the grey one and the Canterbury themed one are blue based. That is they are either blue or green or purple. Some have pink on them.

The hilariously funny thing is my roomy, 21-year-old Canadian Katrina, has a similar theme going on but with black and tan.

Unlike me however, Katrina does not have problems with her salwars shrinking. For one thing she is a fit slender young thing. But to be fair sometimes it's not so much that the salwar has shrunk or that I am not fit or slender but the salwar is not loose fitting enough. I put one on and then I have to take it off because in the heat I do not like being constricted by close fitting clothes. If I firmly tell myself to stop being so silly and leave the outfit on, it stops feeling tight after I forget about it. Usually though I give in and change unless all my loose clothes are in the wash.

I really like salwar chemise because they are comfortable and modest to wear. That is unless the wind is blowing and I am wearing one of the lighter fabrics. Then I have to surreptitiously hold it down while pretending I am not. Fortunately the wind does not blow that often.

Many of the young women I associate with are not solely wearing salwar chemise out on the street like they would have once. Sometimes they wear jeans and kuti (long blouse) and  sometimes they even try to  leave the house without wearing their duparta (scarf). Not on my watch though. At times like that I ask them where their duparta is and they go and fetch it.

Traditionally single women wear salwar and then graduate to a sari when they are married. Unless they are Punjabi.  Punjabi wear salwar no matter their age or sage in life and I seem to recall that sometimes salwar are called Punjabi outfits.

Nowadays salwar are worn by any fashion conscious women.

They are also cheapish to buy. This last time I bought one for about 350 rupees which is about $7 and the most I have paid is 700 rupees. My favouritist outfit in the history of the world, is the one I bought in 2008 and is still going strong. Most though do not last long being made of cotton that fades or wears out.

No comments:

Post a Comment