Saturday 12 November 2016

Money its a gas

I went to town today to snoop around my favouritist shopping market and to eat my favouritist naan bread from my favouritist restaurant. Lochumlo and Katrina came too. Lochumlo and I shared a curry which was very tasty. I do not usually eat anything with my naan which puzzles the waiter no end. Lochumlo was very impressed with the naan so maybe it is the best to be had. It is certainly the best I have ever eaten.

I tried to change the foreign money I had into the local currency  but the money changers had either run out of money or only had the old 500 and 1000 notes. These notes were declared  obsolete on Wednesday. People have until November 14 to exchange the old notes at the bank but can only do it 4000 rupees at a time. Or if  they would sooner they can deposit the money in the bank.

The situation seems fraught with opportunities for disaster if you ask me. Everywhere we went there were long queues of people waiting to enter the bank so they could change their old money for the new. I'm not sure what will happen if people can not exchange their money in time. Knowing the propensity for people in this country  to express their indignation in a forceful manner, I am hoping either everyone makes it to the bank or the government  extends the deadline.

It is not a serious problem for me as I have paid my board, bought clothes and other necessities. All I need is travel money and other incidental expenses.

I will try to change the money at a bank on Monday. If all else fails I can take out 2000 rupees a day,  which is the new temporary limit, from the ATM. That will incur a $5 fee each time so I am not too keen on that option. In theory I could go to the airport and change the money if I was allowed inside. Usually one can only access the airport building if one has a passport and plane ticket. There is also the slightly inconvenient fact a two hour round trip to the airport would cost at least 500 rupees which might be an unnecessary waste of money. Ki korbo.

No comments:

Post a Comment